29 August 2011

where are they now?

Name: Toby Satchwell

Age: 27 years old

Country: Australia

When did you train at Beckers? April - November 2009


Why helicopters?
An amazing machine. Fascinated for years with the versatility of helicopters and career paths that one could take.

Biggest challenge in training and why?
Theory was tough for me, getting into a routine to study and make sense of all the jargon! A HUGE thanks to James (Theory Instructor) for all the hard work!

Most memorable training flight?
My first solo was amazing. I think I only made it back on pure adrenalin! Also the day after my flight test. I took my sister and her family around Noosa. That was still my favourite flight!

What did you do after training?
I ha to go home to work on the farm, as I knew I was leaving the farm for a few years. Then a few months later I started to look for work. After the second phone call I made I was in the car for an interview.

What are you doing now?
I am currently flying for 12 Apostles Helicopters in Victoria doing scenic flights with a bit of photography and filming. I'm leaving next work to start on Hamilton Island!




Advice to those learning to fly?
Start with a TIF (Trial Instructional Flight) to see you if you want to pursue it. Get your medicals and theory out of the way before you start flying full time and spending money, that way you can concentrate on the good stuff!

Advice to those looking for work?
Research!!! A resume will only get you so far if you don't have the minimum requirements. Also think about who you are going to see if you're looking for work at a tourism operator. Have a shave, dress tidy. I see it every week some guys are great but first impressions last.


Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
In Canada heli-skiing in the winter and fires in the summer! Living the dream!!!

Final words?

It's a huge commitment not only financially but also friends and family. You need to to want to dream 100% or it just won't work. Think about where you want to end up, talk to many operators and pilots as you can. Keep networking as you never know who will be your boss one day!


Good luck on Hamilton Island! For more on Toby please go here


No comments:

 

unique hits
Dendrobium Orchids