08 September 2010

where are they now?

Name
Tim Watkins aka Captain Nipples or just call me anything and I'll probably turn around.

Country
Born at Manly Hospital, Sydney AUSTRALIA

When did you train at Beckers?
I started in July 2008 and finished on 31 January 2009

Why helicopters?
Well, looking for the right career has always been a challenge. I remember one day back in 2004 when I putting a roof on in Coffs Harbour new hospital (which is right next door to the old one) and the rescue helicopter was coming and going every now and then. It was coming in really low so I could see the pilot inside. I thought that was pretty cool. So as I was slugging it out putting the new roof on I decided to take a look into helicopters. Well after the initial shock of the costs I put some ideas and research behind me and I was able to start my training a few years later.

Biggest challenge in training and why?
Theory! Big thanks to Jimmy (James Orrom) and Robin (Robin Helsdon) for helping me through it.

Most memorable flight?
Going solo for the first time. I remember it so clearly because I was scared out of my mind. My instructor Mez took for me for a few circuits then told me I'd flown the last one without his help. So he instructed me to land and radio the tower. He got out and sent me off! What a rush!

What did you do when you finished training?
I was pretty lucky. The day after I passed my flight test there was a vacancy at the 12 Apostles Helicopters in Victoria. So I was straight on a plane and started there pretty much straight away.

What are you doing now?
Currently enjoying one of the world's finest inventions ... Beer! But I'll be starting up at Hamilton Island Air this weekend as a line pilot. Even a cricket bat couldn't wipe the smile from my face.

How many hours have you logged?
I have logged 525 hours with hopefully another 500 coming from my new job!

What are your ratings?
R22, R44, MD500. I have also done my HUET and I'm halfway through my sling training.

What do you see yourself doing in 5 years?
I'd like to be working for someone like national parks, where there is different flying day to day. Little bit of sling, little bit of survey.

Advice to those wanting to learn to fly?
Do it! It's awesome.

Advice on looking for work?
A well put together resume and a bit of patience and the work is there. You have to be prepared to look.

Final words?
Don't dream it - live it! Massive thanks to Mike and Jan and the entire crew.

No comments:

 

unique hits
Dendrobium Orchids